Monday, July 20, 2009

Lake Havasu Lighthouses

A few years ago, when I was researching Great Escapes Arizona (Countryman Press), I learned about the lighthouses on Lake Havasu. Since then, I've wanted to see them. It's not that I'm into lighthouses or know much about them. I'm just fascinated by the idea that these mini-lighthouses are replicas of famous ones throughout the world.

The first lighthouse was actually built by the Lake Havasu Marina, and although it is not a replica, it served as the inspiration for building the replicas. To date, there are 18 lighthouses, including the Marina Lighthouse, with plans for nine more in the works (at least, according to the Lake Havasu Lighthouse Club website, http://www.lh-lighthouseclub.org/).

I only saw a few of the lighthouses on my last trip. The Marina Lighthouse was the easiest to spot, and I got the best pictures of it (see above) because I could photograph it from the marina parking lot and at low speeds near the boat ramp. The rest, we jetted past at warp speed. I did manage to get one shot of the Vermilion Lighthouse. The man and his pick-up truck puts the lighthouse in perspective. They're not life size replicas, but the Havasu lighthouses serve their stylish purpose of making the lake safer for local boaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment