Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hiking the San Tans


San Tan Mountain Regional Park is an easy hike, but it was enough to make it quite clear just how out of shape I am. I'm actually still recovering (or, at least, my knees are).

I went with my daughters, Kelly and Kim, my good friends and their girls last Saturday afternoon. It was breezy and cool enough to give me goosebumps before we started hiking but wonderful once we began exerting ourselves. We honestly couldn't have asked for better weather. Be sure to bring plenty of water, though, even during the winter, and wear good shoes.

You have two basic options when you chose to hike the San Tans: you can make a loop, of varying length, on relatively flat ground or you can hike up into the mountains. The first time I went, last May, I opted for the flatter, easier trail. I went with Jerry and the girls, and I think we made a loop of about 5 miles. This time, everyone wanted to see the view, so we chose the trail that seemed to go straight up.

The first mile is as easy as hiking gets. There's a little sand from the dry wash, but it's not taxing at all. Continue until the Goldmine Trail ends. If you go left, you can make the nice easy loop. If you go right, it's a steady, rocky climb. The ascent was so steep at parts that we paused to watch a mountain biker navigate the trail. Sure enough, he had to stop, get off his bike and walk part of the way up. I felt a bit vindicated, huffing and puffing as I was.

The view was worth it. While it's not the dramatic view you'll get from the trails at South Mountain, you can see downtown Phoenix. Supposedly, the graves of two miners/hermits are right there, in the general vicinity of the peak. I thought the graves were marked, but I didn't see them. Maybe you just need to know where to look.

San Tan Mountain Regional Park is open Sunday through Thursday, 6am to 8pm, and Friday and Saturday, 6am to 10pm. It is shared use, available for hiking, biking and horseback riding. There is a $6 per vehicle entry fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment