Monday, January 12, 2009

Barrett Jackson Car Auction


Oh, the things we do for love! Sure, I bought the tickets, but going to the Barrett Jackson Car Auction was something I did for my husband. Turns out, I had a great time, though, too.

We went on Sunday, Family Day, which only made sense because we went as a family: Jerry, the girls and me. As soon as we entered the show, the girls both received free Matchbox cars and a ticket to the kids' fashion show, where it was suggested that we would probably receive a free t-shirt. We didn't end up going.

Instead, we stayed near the entrance until noon, when Ford unveiled the 2010 Shelby Mustang. (We may have been on the local news.) Then, we started down the aisles, looking at motorcycles, jets, and luxury boats. After purchasing sodas ($3 each), we stepped outside. There, we found the luxury and classic cars Jerry was so eager to see.

My favorite? I have a soft spot for '56 Chevys, my first car after I got my license (in 1985). As we meandered through the rows of auction cars, I kept a lookout for '55s, '56s and '57s, and I saw several wonderful examples, including a red and white one. Still, my favorite had to be the custom Corvette. Based on the 1962 model, this car was sleek and modern. I didn't dare ask how much it was worth because it would have put a quick end to my fantasy. Some day... Right? Okay, maybe not.

One of the day's high points was test driving the 2009 Mustang GT. Yes, they let me drive it although I was a little hesitant about pushing the car too much. No need to worry because after driving the GT you could ride in the Shelby. At first, I was disappointed that they wouldn't let you drive the Shelby, but it actually was for the best. The Ford representative drove faster and stopped harder than I ever would have. If you get the chance to ride in a Shelby, take it!

We planned on watching Robosaur, the car-chewing, fire-breathing metal dinosaur, at 4pm, but the arena was empty when we got there. I'm not exactly sure what time Robosaur was supposed to preform. Maybe, there wasn't even a show that day. I don't know, and I had a hard time finding out anything about it. But, as we stood there, I noticed something else, something that at least seemed as long and massive as Robosaur is tall: a 62 ft. houseboat available for rent at Lake Powell. More details to follow, but it looks like we might be taking a Lake Powell vacation this year.

If you are planning on going to Barrett Jackson this week, here's some advice:

  • Wear comfortable shoes. There's a lot of walking.
  • Be prepared to spend the day if you really want to experience the event.
  • Expect expenses. If you want a drink, including water, it will cost you. Food and alcohol are also available.
  • Don't miss the test drives. (Bring your license.)

No comments:

Post a Comment