Tuesday, June 30, 2009

El Charro Cafe

My favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson is El Charro Cafe, www.elcharrocafe.com. I love the story behind it. El Charro is the oldest Mexican restaurant in the United States (at least the oldest one continuously operated by the same family, the descendents of Jules Flin). His daughter, Monica, opened El Charro in 1922 with money borrowed from a sister and, through hard work and determination, kept it going through the Depression. In 1968, Monica moved the restaurant into the family home she had inherited on Court Street, where patrons can dine among heirlooms, including the rifles Jules used to fight off Apaches in Tucson's early days. In the early 70s, Monica turned the restaurant over to her niece, Carlotta Flores, who has been running it since.

Both times I've been at El Charro for lunch, and unbelievably, I've never sampled their margaritas. (Next time!!) On my first visit, I think I had carne seca, which I'm told is their house specialty. Last week, I had the chimichanga. USA Today named El Charro "The Home of the Chimichanga," and I can certainly see why. The meat was flavorful and tender. I've got to get back for dinner (and margaritas), and I'd also like to visit some of their other locations. The Oro Valley El Charro is just a few miles from the Hilton El Conquistador.

No comments:

Post a Comment